Gonna Fly Now!!!

If you read my last blog (all 3 of you) you will know I have been working hard to run the Laguna Beach Memorial Day 5K. My last blog was all about my training and my playlist on my iPod that was going to bring me home.

Well......Today was the day. The day started rainy, but by race time had stopped. I had on a fleece jacket, which I should have taken off before race time, but it was pretty cold up until the race began.

My goal was under 30 minutes. I have been training by running a 10:00 minute mile (at times a little faster) but I was hoping to run in under 30 minutes. I thought that would be pretty good for my first time out.

After making sure my iPod was not on shuffle (that would have been disastrous) I took my place at the race start.

My Playlist:

1.) Eye of the Tiger
2.) Summer Song by Joe Satriani

Both of these songs get me out of the gate fast. I was not sure of how my pace was at first, but when I hit mile 1 during "Summer Song" I knew I was well under my goal time.

3.) "Let Love In" by the Goo Goo Dolls
4.) "Ready to Go" by Replubica

The Goo Goo Dolls' song was perfect to put me into a steady pace. I wanted to make sure I had high gear at the end, so I didn't want to burn out. By this time, I knew the fleece was a bad idea. I was hot!!! but just when I thought "I am getting a little tired." "Ready to Go" hit my iPod and I was indeed.........ready to go......go on in the race that is. It was during this song I hit the Mile 2 marker. I heard the man at the marker yell out times....

"17 and something minutes" is what I heard

"Yes.....I am really running well." I thought

Well, shortly after that, we hit a pretty good hill.........

5.) "It's Never Too Late" by Journey

Nice hyped up song helped me hit the hill hard (Fleece still a bad idea......even worse at this point) Well, I pushed up the hill and then Neil Shcon (guitar player of Journey) took a ripping solo.......thank you Neil.......I figured "If Neil can shred....I can run" I reached the top of the hill and there was this nice long downhill. I didn't want to get excited and take off down the hill too fast. I knew I was getting close......

......and then I saw it in the distance....

MILE 3

and then......

THE ROCKY THEME SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took off, ironically (if you read my last blog) the mile 3 marker was at a turn.

I took off a fast I could, perhaps I had more, but I gave what I had. I turn the corner and I see a large group of people........

THE FINISH LINE

I ran faster at this point, I was in full sprint down the stretch (very Seabiscuit) and ran over the finish line.

My goal was under 30 minutes, about a 10:00 minute mile

my time

25:29!!!!!

that's an 8:13 mile average for the race.

So I did it. I accomplished what I set out to do.

Even better, I finished 9th in my class.....................

35 - 39 year old...............................women.

Yep, just like the Autism 5k I walk/ran with my wife, my bib had be marked as.....

Sex : F

Who cares though......I am not in it for the awards.....I'm in it for the free t-shirt.

Heather was unable to run (she had to come home for family reasons) so it wasn't as much fun without her there (We had scheduled to stay the night in Irvine and make a weekend out of it.)

but our friends the Mathis' and the Basts' helped make the weekend as fun as it could be without my wife. I have very good friends......

......perhaps that should be my next blog.

either that or "How create a delicious dinner when all you have in the cupboard is mustard, Peanut Butter, and a piece of lettuce."

we shall see.

3 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Great run
    25:29 is awesome!

    I hope they send you a medal for placing top 10 :)
    Anonymous said...
    That's awesome, bro! I have a lot of respect for people who do things successfully that I believe would kill me :-)
    Unknown said...
    You were marked as a female. That's hilarious!

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home